Myanmar protester succumbed to her injuries

20-year-old Myanmar protester Mya Thwate Thwate Khaing died of her injuries on Friday. She is the first and as yet only protester to have died in protests against the military coup in Myanmar. The woman was shot in the head by a bullet in the head on February 9 when police dispersed a crowd. She’s been on a ventilator ever since. She was disabled on Friday, her brother told Reuters news agency.

Hundreds of thousands of protesters have been taking to the streets in Myanmar for two weeks to protest the coup. The demonstrations are generally peaceful. Nevertheless, the police regularly intervenes with violence. Batons, catapults and rubber bullets have been used. Mya Thwate Thwate Khaing was hit by live ammunition, according to her doctors. It is unclear who fired the bullet. Incidentally, the armed forces in the country state that a policeman was also killed in the demonstrations.

Also read: Residents of Myanmar are in shock. ‘The military just screwed us’

Also on Friday, demonstrations will take place in Myanmar. According to a human rights activist, 50 people were arrested during the protests in Myitkyina, Reuters reports. Demonstrators in the largest city of Yangon expressed their support for the killed Mya Thwate Thwate Khaing. “I am proud of her and will continue to take to the streets until we achieve her goals,” 24-year-old protester Nay Lin Htet told Reuters. Demonstrators condemn the military coup and express their support for Aung San Suu Kyi’s democratic government.

The armed forces in Myanmar seized power on February 1 because of fraud in the elections in November. The evidence for this has not been provided. The country’s democratically elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi is under house arrest for allegedly violating disaster laws. The protesters demand, among other things, her release. The protests will enter their third week this Friday.

Myanmar protester succumbed to her injuries
Source link Myanmar protester succumbed to her injuries

Back to top button