Sports

Sport Kort: Hillsborough disaster victim still dead after 32 years | Sport

Keep up to date with all the sports news. We have set up special pages on our website for football, tennis, skating, motorsport, cycling and darts news, on which the most important matters in these sports are highlighted. In this section Sport Kort mainly the other messages are discussed.

Hillsborough disaster victim still dead after 32 years

00:27 o’clock The English football club Liverpool on Wednesday announced the death of a supporter who suffered life-threatening injuries in the Hillsborough disaster 32 years ago. The coroner has confirmed that 55-year-old Andrew Divine is the 97th fatality from the tragic event on April 15, 1989.

Panic broke out in the stands at the start of a cup match against Nottingham Forest at the crowded Sheffield Wednesday stadium, overrunning many Liverpool fans. Of them, 94 died on the spot, one died a few days later in a hospital and another in 1993. And now, 32 years later, Divine has been added to the list of people who have verifiably lost their lives as a result of the disaster.

In addition to the many dead, more than 750 were injured. After a long and thorough new investigation, a jury in 2016 concluded that the tragedy was due to police failure and not to drunken fans or hooligans. Six of those responsible were charged a year later with serious negligence with fatal consequences.

The disaster also meant that the fences in the English stadiums were removed and only seats became available.

Proposal to FIFA: suspend playing time when consulting VAR

10:10 PM The Conmebol, the South American football federation, advocates that playing time during a match be officially stopped when the video referee (VAR) is consulted. “The minutes that pass are then no longer a cause for concern,” said Wilson Seneme, Brazil’s chairman of the Conmebol refereeing committee.

The umbrella organization also wants both teams to be given the opportunity to invoke the VAR themselves a fixed number of times, as is the case in, for example, tennis, volleyball and hockey.

Both proposals have been sent to the world football association FIFA. The International Football Association Board (IFAB), the organization that determines the rules in football, has also received the relevant documents from Conmebol.

In South America, only Brazil, Paraguay and Colombia are using the VAR technology in their competitions so far.

PEC Zwolle draws at Fenerbahçe

8:48 PM PEC Zwolle has drawn in Istanbul against the Turkish top club Fenerbahçe: 2-2. The people of Zwolle were behind 2-0 by hits from defender Marcel Tisserand, just before half-time, and Enner Valencia, just after the resumption. The latter took advantage of Dean Huiberts’ clumsy loss of possession and left goalkeeper Kostas Lamprou without a chance. These two played the entire match at PEC.

Halfway through the second half, Mustafa Saymak narrowed the margin with a shot into the far corner. Substitute Chardi Landu brought the team of trainer Art Langeler alongside in the final phase. Ferdi Kadioglu, who took over from NEC in 2018, had a basic place at Fenerbahçe.

English Football Association: no more than 10 headers in training week

8:21 PM The English Football Association (FA) has issued new guidelines to limit the harmful effects of headers on professional footballers. In a statement, the FA said “no more than ten headers per player should be executed in a week of training.”

This concerns headers from passes that come from further than 35 meters, such as crosses, corners or free kicks. The new directive aims to ‘protect the well-being of players’ and will be applied to all levels of English football, from the Premier League to the Women’s Super League. The goal is to reduce the risk of brain damage. The rule does not apply on match days.

In England in particular, attention is increasing for the possible long-term consequences of football. Last year, Sir Bobby Charlton’s wife announced that her husband was suffering from dementia as the fifth world champion in 1966.

AZ also beats OFI Crete after Panathinaikos

6.05 pm: AZ also won the second match against a Greek opponent in preparation for the new football season. Three days after the victory over Panathinaikos (3-0), the team of trainer Pascal Jansen on Wednesday in Dirkshorn OFI, North Holland, sidelined Crete with 2-0.

Albert Gudmunsson opened the scoring in the 8th minute. In the 58th minute, substitute Jorn Berkhout scored the second goal against last season’s number 13 in Greece.

At AZ, internationals Teun Koopmeiners, Owen Wijndal and Marco Bizot did not participate. The threesome were not in the competition selection, but were present in Dirkshorn as a spectator. Koopmeiners, Wijndal and Bizot hope to make a transfer this summer, following Calvin Stengs, who recently made the switch to OGC Nice.

The Dutch Jonathan de Guzman, Mike van Duinen and Luc Castaignos had a base place at OFI Crete. Goalkeeper Boy Waterman did not participate.

AZ previously won in the preparation of NEC (4-1) and TOP Oss (3-0), drew against Anderlecht (1-1) and Racing Genk (1-1) and lost to RB Leipzig (1-0). The Alkmaarders will play at home against Real Sociedad on Saturday and against Torino on Sunday 8 August. AZ will start the competition on Saturday 14 August with an away match against RKC Waalwijk. Thursday, August 19 and Thursday, August 26, the play-offs of the Europa League for the North Hollanders are on the program.

De Plus disabled due to viral infection

3:01 pm: The Belgian cyclist Laurens De Plus is out for the time being. The 25-year-old Ineos-Grenadiers driver has been hit by a viral infection. He therefore has to take a break.

De Plus hardly played in 2020 due to injuries. At the end of last year he exchanged Jumbo-Visma for his current team. This cycling season did not go much better for him. He only competed in the Tour de Provence, Paris-Nice, the GP Miguel Indurain and the Tour of the Basque Country. After that, De Plus turned out to be overtrained and was not selected for the Tour de France.

“The team has worked hard together with Laurens to make a diagnosis,” says Ineos-Grenadiers. “Now a period of mandatory rest is necessary. Laurens gets all the support from the team. We look forward to seeing him back on the bike soon.”

Telesport newsletter

Daily the most important sports news, results, analyzes and interviews.

Invalid email address. Please fill in again.

Read our privacy policy here.

Sport Kort: Hillsborough disaster victim still dead after 32 years | Sport
Source link Sport Kort: Hillsborough disaster victim still dead after 32 years | Sport

Back to top button