Keep up to date with all the sports news. We have set up special pages on our website for football, tennis, skating, motorsport, cycling and darts news, on which the most important matters in these sports are highlighted. In this section Sport Kort mainly the other messages are discussed.
Leen Looijen (74) out of NEC’s supervisory board
5:52 p.m.: Leen Looijen is no longer a member of the supervisory board of NEC. The 74-year-old former trainer will remain connected to the club as a scout and ‘culture guard’.
“It is a natural moment for me to step down from the supervisory board. I held this position since the relegation of NEC four years ago and after the promotion I am now making room for new people. In recent years I have enjoyed being on the supervisory board”, says Looijen, who, in addition to being a trainer, was also technical director of the Nijmegen team for many years. During that period, he appointed the trainers Jim Calderwood, Johan Neeskens and Mario Been, among others.
“Leen was a highly valued colleague on the supervisory board, with all his experiences and knowledge, his large network and his unbiased opinion on football matters. Of course always in the interest of NEC. We regret that Leen is leaving the supervisory board, but we also know that he will remain associated with the club,” said Ron van Oijen, chairman of the supervisory board of NEC.
Olympic sprint champion Lamont Marcell Jacobs will not be back in action until 2022
5:28 PM: Italian sprinter Lamont Marcell Jacobs, who succeeded Jamaican Usain Bolt in Tokyo as Olympic champion in the 100 meters, cannot be seen on the athletics track for the time being. When asked by one of his followers on Instagram when he plans to start competing again, Jacobs replied: “2022.”
Five more Diamond League events are scheduled for this season, including the two-day final in Zurich (September 8-9). Manager Marcello Magnani said on Thursday that the suddenly world-famous athlete has not decided to take a break due to injuries or other health problems.
“He simply gave so much this year, everything he had. So going full steam ahead just means running the risk of getting injured,” Magnani said. During the Games in Japan, Jacobs became the first Italian to win the king’s number in athletics. He then also helped the national relay team to gold in the 4×100 meters.
Beach volleyball players Stam and Schoon at European Championships to second round
3.14 pm: The Dutch beach volleyball players Katja Stam and Raïsa Schoon have made it to the second round at the European championship in Vienna. In the first round, the duo defeated Italians Marta Menegatti and Viktoria Orsi Toth in three sets: 19-21 21-14 15-13.
The couples Marleen van Iersel/Pleun Ypma and Sanne Keizer/Madelein Meppelink had already qualified for the second round through the group stage.
The Dutch beach volleyball players have all started the European Championship with a victory. Alexander Brouwer and Robert Meeuwsen won 21-19 21-12 against the Germans Nils Ehlers and Simon Pfretzschner. Stefan Boermans and Yorick de Groot defeated the Austrians Alexander Huber and Christoph Dressler in the same group 21-15 21-18. Christiaan Varenhorst and Steven van de Velde won in three sets against the Italians Jakob Windisch and Samuele Cottafava: 21-18 25-27 15-12.
MotoGP team Yamaha suspends rider Maverick Vinales
13:55: Striking news from MotoGP Yamaha has withdrawn rider Maverick Vinales from next weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix. The team has suspended the 26-year-old Spaniard for allegedly operating his bike “without explanation” during the Styrian Grand Prix last Sunday.
Viñales did not make it to the finish in the race on Sunday. The Spaniard said he had multiple electronic problems with the engine. Yamaha came to the conclusion after an in-depth analysis of telemetry and data in recent days. “Yamaha’s conclusion is that the driver’s actions could have caused significant damage to the engine of his YZR-M1, which could have resulted in serious risks for the driver himself and all other riders in the MotoGP race,” the team said. .
Yamaha is not calling for a replacement for the Spaniard for the Austrian Grand Prix. The team has not yet made a decision as to whether Viñales will compete in subsequent races. According to Yamaha, this requires a detailed analysis of the situation and conversations with the driver.
Vinales will leave the Yamaha factory team after this season. In consultation, it has been decided to terminate the Spaniard’s contract, which will continue for another year, at the end of this season.
Argentina and Italy rise in world rankings
11:31 am: The football countries Italy and Argentina, winners of the European Championship and the Copa América respectively, have climbed the FIFA world ranking. Both moved up two places; Italy is now fifth, Argentina sixth.
Belgium remains number 1, although the country was a bit disappointing with the elimination in the quarterfinals at the European Championship. Brazil, finalist in the Copa América, is second, ahead of France. The United States, winner of the Gold Cup last summer, is now in 10th place.
The Dutch national team, which was eliminated in the eighth finals in the European title fight, is now 12th.
Halep immediately crashes when returning to Montreal tennis tournament
10.29 am: Simona Halep has been eliminated in the second round of the Montreal tournament on her return to the tennis court. The Romanian, who had a bye in the first round, lost in three sets to American Danielle Collins: 2-6 6-4 6-4.
Halep, 29, last played at a tournament in Rome in May, where she sustained a calf injury. She then had to withdraw from Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics.
Her return to the Montreal tournament was also short-lived. Despite this, Halep was positive about her game. “After three months in which I have played little tennis, I play a match of almost three hours at a very high level against a player who is currently winning matches and tournaments,” said the Romanian.
The 27-year-old Collins won the Palermo tournament at the end of July and the San José tournament last week. She has been unbeaten for 12 matches in a row.
Jones missing from Liverpool due to concussion
08.11 am: Curtis Jones will be missing from Liverpool next weekend in the first game of the season against Norwich. The midfielder appears to have suffered a concussion in the exhibition game with Osasuna last Monday. He was substituted in the first half.
“He is feeling well again,” said coach Jürgen Klopp. “But the protocols prescribe a few days of mandatory rest for this injury. Of course we stick to that. I expect Curtis to be able to train again from Sunday.”
Andy Robertson is also missing from Liverpool. The defender and international of Scotland suffered an ankle injury in the preparation. He expects to be back in a few weeks.
Cyclo-cross rider Compton stops after positive doping test
08.04 am: Cyclo-cross rider Katie Compton, four-time vice world champion, has ended her career. The 42-year-old American does this after a positive doping test, which resulted in a four-year suspension. “I’m innocent, but I can’t prove it,” Compton said.
Compton tested positive for anabolic steroids in September. “It wasn’t until early February that I was told that an anabolic steroid had been found in a reanalysis of the same sample,” Compton said. “I hired a lawyer and tried to find out how the substance got into my body, but because there were five months between the collection of the sample and the report, that proved impossible. I have therefore decided to stop this expensive and difficult fight and accept the sanction.”
Compton is her country’s most successful cyclo-cross racer. From 2004 to 2018, she won the United States Championship fifteen times in a row. She was on the podium five times at a world championship. She won more than 130 cyclocross races.
Before starting as a cyclo-cross racer, Compton won two gold, a silver and a bronze medal at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Athens. She did that on a tandem, as a pilot for the blind Karissa Whitsell.
Four in ten professionals see discrimination in professional football
07.16 am: Four in ten professional football players in the Netherlands say that racism and other forms of discrimination regularly occur in professional football. 14% have experienced it themselves. For players with a migration background, that share is even higher at 25 percent. The Mulier Institute reports this after a poll among 118 or professionals from the Eredivisie and Kitchen Champion Division.
For the study, 1044 professionals were approached through their captain. Although not everyone has responded, the Mulier Institute speaks of a representative study, also because many speak of a taboo and have indicated that they find it difficult to talk about.
A quarter of the players indicate that jokes or negative comments are sometimes made within their team about skin color, origin or religion. Opinions differ as to whether such jokes are undesirable.
A fifth of the players indicate that there is a taboo in professional football on discussing prejudices and stereotypes based on skin color and origin. This opinion is more common among players with a migration background (31 percent). These players in particular also find it important that more coaches, managers and administrators of color come into professional football (65 percent, compared to 14 percent of players without a migration background).
With regard to tackling racism, the survey shows that almost all professional football players believe that action should be taken against negative statements by the public or players about skin colour, ethnic origin or religion. Players rate the approach to racism by the KNVB with a narrow pass. The approach by their own club, fellow players and themselves is more than satisfied.
Negative reactions from supporters, public opinion and societal norms and traditions are seen as the biggest obstacles to tackling racism. Only a few players think that the clubs are a hindrance. In addition to sanctions, positive attention from football journalism, the KNVB and clubs is seen as the most important measure that contributes to combating racism in professional football.
The KNVB was not involved in the poll, but is aware of the outcome. “Anyone who discriminates and excludes others does not belong in football,” responds the national football association. “Football is a team sport. Profit is celebrated together and loss is shared together. A match is not possible without opponents, referees, trainers and volunteers. Professional football is not possible without spectators and fans.”
In the Netherlands, about 8 million people are involved in football in one way or another. “Everyone plays a role and is welcome,” says the KNVB. “Football connects. We should not only be very proud of that, we should also guard it. To combat discrimination, we have introduced twenty new or tightened measures in the past year and a half. For example, the term for stadium bans has been doubled to 10 years and players can be banned from 5 to 10 games. In addition to penalties, we are also working hard on awareness, cooperation and identification.”
We also hold personal conversations with professional football players to explain to them what we do in this area and to ask them about their personal experiences and ideas. “The border is clear: discrimination and exclusion are not tolerated in any form. Not by us and as far as we’re concerned by no one. So let’s collectively reduce that 14 percent to 0 percent as quickly as possible. Because only keeping zero is acceptable.”
Sport Kort: Striking action MotoGP team Yamaha | Sport
Source link Sport Kort: Striking action MotoGP team Yamaha | Sport