News | March 13, 2023 | 21:52
what: From March 22-24, 2023, the United Nations (UN) Water Conference will be held in New York. The Kingdom of the Netherlands hosts the conference together with the Republic of Tajikistan.
From the low-lying deltas of the North Sea and small islands in the Caribbean to the spectacular glaciers of Tajikistan, this partnership means that all countries face different challenges when it comes to water: too much, too little or dirty. indicates that
With 70% of the Dutch population in the Netherlands living below sea level, the Dutch have a wealth of expertise in flood control and clean water. Together with other countries, we address water-related problems around the world, including flooding, irrigation, safe riverbanks and clean drinking water.
The Water Conference is the first United Nations Water Conference in nearly 50 years.
Portions of the UN Water Conference can also be followed online, including the plenary session, several side events and a talk show from the UN-based SDG Studio hosted by presenter Shakuntala Shantiran.
In parallel with the conference, New York City will celebrate New York Water Week to further build momentum at the conference.
why: Almost every country in the world has water problems. Whether it is related to floods or extreme droughts. Also, worldwide he said 884 million people do not have access to clean drinking water. Additionally, waste, pollution and climate change are increasing pressure on the world’s water supply. The United Nations Water Council must contribute to the achievement of international agreements in the field of water and accelerate this process.
WHO: Dutch delegation including:
- His Majesty King Willem-Alexander
- Evelyn Wever-Croes, Prime Minister Aruba
- Liesche Schleinemacher, Minister for Foreign Trade and Development, Netherlands
- Mr. Marcus HarbersDutch Minister for Infrastructure and Water Management
- Mr. Arcel AllensAruba Minister of Transport, Integrity, Nature and Senior Affairs
- Mr Egbert DolanMinister of Public Housing, Physical Planning, Environment and Infrastructure St. Martin
- Henk Ovink, Envoy of Water Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Mr. Jaime de Bourbon de Palme, Climate Envoy Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Mr. Ahmed Abautarev Mayor of Rotterdam
- Sarah Oi youth representative
Water meeting figures: 1 opening ceremony, 5 interactive dialogues, 4 special events, 500 official side events including 200 on UN grounds, 150 events in NYC, 150 events online, Leaders, ministers and delegations from 193 countries, 6,643 registered Participant Organizations including business and civil society (not including UN Member States), and 200 youth representatives.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
media certification (deadline March 15): https://sdgs.un.org/conferences/water2023/media
https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/latest-news/news/2023/03/13/un-2023-water-conference-and-new-york-water-week 2023 United Nations Water Congress and New York Water Week | News Article