of fire An electric step scooter battery was responsible for the death of a pet cat in an Amsterdam New West apartment on Tuesday morning, the Amsterdam Amsterland fire department said the next day. There is growing concern about storing these vehicles indoors as the batteries used can overheat and cause smoke, flames and explosions.
Vehicles such as e-bikes, e-steps and e-scooters are equipped with lithium-ion batteries. These lightweight, rechargeable power supplies are found in a variety of devices such as smartphones, tablets, laptops and hoverboards. Lithium-ion batteries can store much more energy than standard batteries, so there are many advantages, but there are also risks.
The main risk is thermal runaway. According to UL Labs. Thermal runaway is a situation in which an increase in temperature causes a further increase in temperature, setting off an autonomous and often destructive chain reaction. Excessive heat can break down battery chemicals and generate more heat, which can lead to battery fire or explosion.
A spokeswoman for the Amsterdam Amsterland Fire Department told the NL Times that this could be caused by a damaged battery in a faulty charger, which could cause a short circuit leading to thermal runaway. A spokeswoman said these types of fires are “not necessarily more dangerous” than regular fires.
However, it has been pointed out that urban residents often do not have sheds or gardens to store e-cars, increasing the risk. Storing these in indoor spaces such as living rooms, hallways, and stairs increases the risk of fire spreading.
A spokeswoman said it was important to always call 1-1-2 and leave the house in the event of a fire. “But it’s also important to try to mitigate the risk, such as charging in a room where smoke detectors are active and unplugging the battery when it’s fully charged.”
The spokesperson also noted that the battery is very easily damaged “for example if you drop it on the floor.” In such cases, you should stop using it as it may overheat and short circuit.
The Amsterdam-Amsterland fire department could not immediately provide a report on the number of small electric car fires. “But of course, as the use of e-bikes and e-steps has increased, we are seeing an increase in the number of fires,” the spokesperson said.
https://nltimes.nl/2023/05/21/amsterdam-fire-department-concerned-e-bike-battery-fires-homes Amsterdam fire department more concerned about e-bike battery fires in homes