Mayors across the Netherlands are calling again for a total ban on consumer fireworks after problems at this year’s New Year’s festivals.
Amsterdam mayor Femke Halsema described the situation in the capital, where the fireworks ban was widely ignored, as “tensed and busy” with “much more arrests” than last year.
The mayor also made a fresh appeal to the government to ban fireworks nationwide, saying that without fireworks it would be impossible to stop people from setting off fireworks at the local level.
In all, 12 towns and cities have imposed local bans, and hundreds of other towns and cities have set fireworks bans.
Nijmegen Mayor Hubert Bruls, chairman of the 25 cities’ safety committees, said the lack of a nationwide ban means cities wanting to stop consumer fireworks are “playing a game that can’t be won.” It means ‘has’. In Nijmegen, the ban was also ignored.
“If you really want to change the way you celebrate the New Year, it will happen slowly,” he said. A nationwide ban would lead to “a more festive and appropriate way to welcome the New Year.”
Meanwhile, Justice Minister Dylan Yesirgoz condemned the way paramedics were attacked in parts of the country. Twelve people had to be treated for various injuries.
“The firework tradition has become something that every year police officers are injured or deafened,” he said. We have to figure out a way.”
Rotterdam’s Eye Specialty Hospital said Monday morning it had treated 25 people with fireworks-related injuries.
Seven of the victims had to undergo surgery, the hospital told a news website Nu.nl.
https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2023/01/mayors-police-renew-calls-for-a-nationwide-firework-ban/ Mayor, police renew call for nationwide fireworks ban