News | 24-01-2023 | 10:24
The OWA network, which investigates education and science at the Royal Dutch Embassy in Pretoria, Secretary/Administrative Assistant Work part-time 12 hours a week.
You become part of the OWA network of embassies. Currently this is for Education and Science Attachés only besides you. More staff are expected to expand the team later this year.
Mission secretarial and administrative support activities are grouped in a secretarial management pool under the mission’s head. Whenever possible, employees receive instructions from a single source.
Position: Secretary/Administrative Assistant Education and Science
Mission: OWA Network (Focus: Education and Science)
Job Level: Scale 6
Hours: Part time 12 hours per week
A secretary/administrative assistant provides organizational, secretarial, and administrative support to the manager and/or staff of a ministry unit or project.
- Provide secretarial support to senior civil servants, managers and/or staff of ministry units or projects
- Provide or coordinate secretarial/administrative support for a diverse but relevant range of subjects in changing diplomatic and political circumstances
- Has considerable seniority and can work mostly independently
- Act as a link in both internal organizations and external environments to establish connections, assess interests and weigh outcomes
- Reconcile complex information from various sources
- Contribution to compilation of management information
- Communicate to harmonize processes and procedures
Results area and results
Secretarial, organizational and administrative support activities
1. Secretarial/organization/office support activities
- Prioritize specific tasks and coordinate and perform secretarial/administrative duties (including diary and email management, inbound and outbound telephone communications).
- respond to or coordinate responses to a wide variety of questions, requests or calls;
- Reconcile complex information from various sources
- Act as a link or point of contact in both internal organizations and external environments
- Prioritize, assess urgency, make connections, weigh the consequences of taking action, monitor progress and task completion, identify issues, and send reminders
- Provides general information about content and procedures, as well as administrative and organizational processes.
- Drafting reports, taking minutes, translating, elaborating and preparing documents, and assuming general responsibilities. follow the guidelines given
- Provides general administrative, logistical, and organizational support
- Receiving and Interacting with Visitors Plays an important role in setting appointments, receiving guests and visitors, and meeting both internally and externally
- Create and update workfiles
- Create an overview for management and other staff
- Keep departmental embassy databases up to date
- Provides a basic backup to the secretarial pool of colleagues if needed
- Internal Secretariat/Administrative Procedures and Regulations
- Evaluation based on the quality of secretarial, organizational and administrative support work
- It is largely up to the secretary/administrative assistant to decide how the job is to be carried out.
- Act as a point of contact/link to make administrative and process arrangements and coordinate work on the provision of services
- Maintain internal and external contacts in the network for performing and facilitating tasks, providing clarification and support, and exchanging information
Knowledge and skill requirements
- Proficient with Windows-based MS Office programs such as Word, Excel, Outlook, 247
- Knowledge of administrative support procedures, secretarial duties, and general secretarial/administrative procedures and regulations
- General knowledge and understanding of current (relevant) policy areas and processes, and familiarity with standard documentation and archiving techniques
- understanding of civil servants and political concerns and sensitivities, key processes, and administrative, organizational and functional relationships;
- Skilled in operating diplomatically as a link to third parties (external and external relations) at senior political and public service levels
- Proficient in collecting and interpreting data and compiling administrative information
- Skilled in secretarial/administrative duties, coordinating complex information flows and processes from various sources, considering outcomes, interests, priorities, etc.
Four competencies are particularly important to the success of this job:
- Planning and operation
- communication skills
- Ability to work within a team
The following abilities are also important to the success of this role:
- ability to cope with stress
- client oriented
- center of goal
- environmental awareness
- planning and organization
- Ability to set priorities
Education level/additional training and knowledge
- Secondary Vocational Level (TVET)
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel PowerPoint, and 247)
- Fluent English (both spoken and written) is required.
- Knowledge of Dutch is an advantage, but not required.
- Knowledge of multiple South African languages is an advantage, but not required
- Prior experience essential
The Embassy of Pretoria is active in all aspects of bilateral cooperation. The Embassy has three main sections: PCM, Economic and Agricultural Affairs, and Consular and Domestic Affairs. A section on education and science will be added in October 2022. The full-time staff consists of his 34 employees, supplemented by trainees (3-4) from the Netherlands.
The Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW) is represented in an increasing number of countries around the world by Education and Science Officers at Dutch Embassies. This is called an OWA network. The OWA network facilitates policy learning among national governments, fosters cross-sectoral cooperation between educational and knowledge institutions, and reaches out to the labor market and sometimes local governments. Open science and mutual partnerships form the basis of the Dutch knowledge and talent strategy.
OWA network There are currently eight educational science officers in eight countries. Through this OWA network, the Ministry of OCW strengthens and contributes to international knowledge exchange and talent development in the Netherlands and these countries.
The OWA Network represents OCW ministries in the field of education and science at the national and institutional level. As this position is only recently established, the first objective is to build a strong network within the South African government and educational and knowledge institutions in the Netherlands and South Africa. Where relevant, the network also aims to reach out to the labor market and local government where education, science, labor market and (local) government can complement each other. These stakeholders make an essential contribution to strengthening ties and relationships between the ministries of education and science in the Netherlands and South Africa, and the educational and knowledge institutions of both countries.
- Policy support for key OCW divisions.
- To provide knowledge and policy exchange between Dutch and South African institutions.
- Bilateral and multilateral cooperation.
Much of the time is spent exploring cooperation possibilities, identifying focus areas for policy learning and knowledge exchange, and clarifying the Dutch and South African education and science systems.
The OWA Network takes a proactive approach, seeking out opportunities from Dutch policy makers, educational and scientific institutions, and establishing direct contact with stakeholders through roundtable discussions.
The OWA network belongs to the embassy organizational structure. The Education Science Counselor is the overall manager of the OWA team and is the only team member at this stage. This means that you will be the only other team member at this time. More members are expected to join the team during 2023.
Close cooperation with other sections within the embassy is desirable (i.e. thematic teams focused on innovation, transformation and identity, and possibly climate change and smart city focused teams). The OWA Network is responsible for defining the structures of excellence in which educational and knowledge institutions can best serve their students, researchers and society.
Our new colleague (Secretary/Administrative Assistant in Teaching and Science) is an open-minded, enthusiastic person, experienced in the field, knowledgeable, and willing to combine these skills with a resourceful and empathetic You must have an attitude. They have organizational and logistical talent and can work independently, accurately and unsupervised. They are both independent workers and team players, and should contribute to improving the overall atmosphere within the Embassy team.
Successful applicants are expected to begin employment on March 1, 2023.
Gross salary before deductions is between ZAR 12.193 and ZAR 13.383.
Diversity and inclusion
The Dutch government is an inclusive employer with a focus on diversity. We respect diversity, promote equality, challenge discrimination, and enhance organizational capacity. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, color, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other category protected by law. We promote flexible and family-friendly working conditions wherever operational and security needs permit.
Interested candidates can apply by February 15, 2023 by sending a letter of intent and a recent resume to the email address of the Head of OWA Network. email@example.comApplicants are requested to mention the subject field. Secretary/Administrative Assistant – Surname.
Please note that if you do not receive an interview invitation by February 22, 2023, your application will be considered unsuccessful.
For job details, please contact:
Berto Boscia, Educational Science Attaché
Phone: 083 292 0894
Dalene Breytenbach, Agricultural Counselor Administrative Assistant
Phone 081 038 2527
https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/latest-news/news/2023/01/24/vacancy-for-part-time-administrative-assistant-pretoria Part-time administrative assistant vacancy at Embassy in Pretoria | News Article