News | Nov 18, 2022 | 10:35
Dutch embassy in Pretoria offers vacancies for policy officer for climate team from 1st February, 2023We are looking for proven climate change professionals who are open-minded, driven by values such as diversity, equality and inclusion, and who are true team players.
The Pretoria Embassy works as one team with the Cape Town Consulate General. Our shared mission in South Africa is organized around the strong bilateral political and economic ties between South Africa and the Netherlands. One of the key areas of cooperation is climate and climate adaptation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and expand relevant networks and relationships with key policy makers, influencers, and private and public sector representatives of climate-related areas at the local, state, and national levels.
- The identification and development of projects in the areas of climate mitigation and adaptation support the implementation of climate-related programs. This includes the identification, evaluation and processing of project applications, as well as project monitoring and evaluation.
- Collaborate with teams and external partners to identify, participate, initiate and execute climate-related events and initiatives.
- Identify opportunities to engage the Dutch private sector to jointly create solutions to climate and environmental challenges.
Ensure policy cohesion and integration of the climate change perspective in other Dutch themes and goals in South Africa.
skills and abilities
- Knowledge of climate policy and politics and a network of relevant stakeholders at local, state and national levels.
- In-depth knowledge of the causes and effects of climate change, South Africa’s position and the role of different governance levels in implementing climate action;
- Understanding of business opportunities in climate-related sectors such as energy, water and circular economy, and experience in inter-company engagement.
- excellence, including the ability to collect, validate, assess and synthesize relevant climate-related information from a variety of sources, assess its impacts and provide recommendations to strengthen climate ambition and action in South Africa; analytical and research skills;
- A certain sensitivity to the political and social environment and the ability to work accordingly. We take initiative, work with transparency, and invite input and contributions from others in our work.
- Ability to act as an internal resource contact and share knowledge.
- Ability to contribute to broader economic and political policy initiatives and projects through the mission’s thematic policy approach.
- Speak and write clearly and effectively. Adjust language, tone, style and format to suit your audience. Show that you are open to sharing information and opinions and keeping others informed.
Teamwork and D&I
- We work collaboratively and value team cohesion. Ask for input by genuinely valuing the ideas and expertise of others. Willing to learn from others. Act on the group’s final decision, even if it doesn’t fully reflect your position. Share credit for team achievements and accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- I enjoy working in diverse and multicultural teams and environments, and recognize and appreciate cross-cultural sensitivities. He has a vision and ambitions for promoting diversity and inclusion in work and teamwork.
- An advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental sciences, political science, international relations, social sciences, economics, or related fields. The focus on climate and environmental topics is an added benefit.
experience, knowledge, skills
- A minimum of three years of work experience in climate, political issues, international relations, business development or related fields is required.
- knowledge of South Africa’s environmental and socio-economic landscape and an interest in international and domestic climate change;
- Able to build strong relationships and identify key stakeholders;
- Fluent English (both spoken and written) is required. Additionally, knowledge of the South African language is an advantage.
The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands has a positive diversity policy and strives to create an inclusive and safe work environment where everyone can be and valued for who they are. We look for diversity in terms of age, gender, race, orientation, identity, culture, background and ability when building our team.
Our office is barrier-free.
1 year fixed term contract – extension option available.
2 months trial period.
Estimated Salary (Scale 9): ZAR 55.000 – 60.000 Gross, 37.5 hours per week depending on experience and qualifications.
Please send your statement of purpose (up to 400 characters) and your resume to the address below. firstname.lastname@example.orgSubject “Application Environment Contact – Last Name”
Application deadline: December 2, 2022. Interviews are scheduled for him between December 5th and 15th.
https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/latest-news/news/2022/11/18/vacancy-for-a-policy-officer-in-the-field-of-climate-policy-pretoria Vacancies at our Embassy in Pretoria for policy officers in the field of climate policy | News Articles